FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 20, 2017
Public Relations and Communications Manager
Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce
O: (843) 916-7235 C: (843) 592-9872
MYRTLE BEACH AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE COORDINATING HUMANITARIAN AID DRIVE FOR LOCAL FAMILIES AND THOSE IN PUERTO RICO
The Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce (MBACC) is organizing a humanitarian aid drive to benefit local families in need and the people of Fajardo, Puerto Rico, the town where the 2017 Puerto Rico Tip-Off Classic was originally set to be played. Because Fajardo was devastated by Hurricane Maria, this significant basketball event was relocated to the Grand Strand.
The Puerto Rico Tip-Off took place the weekend of November 16 at Coastal Carolina University. During the event, the MBACC kicked-off the aid drive by accepting donations of canned goods and new, unwrapped toys. The drive will continue through December 30. Donations may be dropped off at the MBACC, 1200 North Oak Street in Myrtle Beach during business hours. Donations will also be accepted at:
• Alabama Theatre, 4750 Hwy. 17 S., North Myrtle Beach
• The Brandon Agency, 3023 Church St., Myrtle Beach
• Carolina Cool, 1294 Surfside Industrial Park, Surfside Beach
• Coastal Carolina University - HTC Center, 104 Founders Dr., Conway
• Edward Jones, 7833 N Kings Hwy., Myrtle Beach
• FSA-Full Steam Ahead, Inc. Fire & Water Restoration, 1440 Executive Ave., Myrtle Beach
• Johnny D's Waffles & Bakery, 3301 N. Kings Hwy., Myrtle Beach
• Monarch Roofing, 3931 Mega Dr., Myrtle Beach
• RE/MAX Southern Shores, 700 Main St., Conway
• RE/MAX Southern Shores, 2339 Hwy. 17 S., Murrells Inlet
• RE/MAX Southern Shores, 1107 48th Ave. N., Ste. 110, Myrtle Beach
• RE/MAX Southern Shores, 100 Hwy. 17 S., North Myrtle Beach
• South State Bank, 4331 Robert Grissom Pkwy., Myrtle Beach
• Three Ring Focus, 1925 B Mr. Joe White Ave., Myrtle Beach
MBACC will also be collecting donations at all MBACC networking and education events throughout November and December.
“We certainly understand what happens to a city that has been hit by a major hurricane,” said Brad Dean, President and CEO of the MBACC. “It has been several weeks since the hurricane hit Puerto Rico, and some people are still left without water, power and basic necessities. It is our privilege to be asked to help them during this difficult time.”
Local businesses that would like to get involved in the effort which will help not only the people of Fajardo, but also those in need in the Myrtle Beach area, should contact Kema.Parsley@VisitMyrtleBeach.com.
# # #
About the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce
Since 1938 the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce has stood as the unified voice of the Grand Strand's business community. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce has awarded the MBACC its five-star accreditation, one of few chambers in South Carolina to earn this distinction. The MBACC serves Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, Surfside Beach, Little River, Atlantic Beach, Garden City Beach, Loris, Conway, Aynor, Murrells Inlet, Litchfield Beach, Pawleys Island, Socastee and Carolina Forest. For more information, visit MyrtleBeachAreaChamber.com.